December 3, 2008

A New Years Resolution


I know it's a tad early to be setting New Years Resolutions, but Kyle mentioned what he was thinking the other day and I couldn't resist jumping on the band-wagon, too. So, we're doing it together. We both love reading, but I'm not very disciplined when it comes to setting aside time to read. So, we have resolved to each read 12 books in 2009. I know it's not a huge lofty goal, but when I can only think that I read the last Harry Potter in 2008, I really am setting up a big goal. Kyle reads more than I do because he reads for work, but he'd like to read more during his free time.

We're going to alternate every other month reading a "fun" book and then a book of a more serious nature. We're not reading the same book at the same time. We might overlap a little, but our taste in books differ.

We stopped by Barnes and Nobel before leaving Kyle's home town yesterday and each picked out a book. I picked out A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah per Kyle's recommendation and Kyle picked out the newest Rob Bell. The book I'm going to be starting soon is about the a young boy in Sierra Leon, Africa who was forced to fight during the civil wars that happened over there probably 10 years ago? Since I haven't read it yet, I can't give any more insight then that. I'll share more once I've read it. Our church supports missionaries and partners with their ministry in Sierra Leon, so we know a little about what happened there during the wars.

This probably sounds silly, but we're going to make up a chart to track our reading so that we can stay accountable to actually doing what we've set out to do. I'll share our progress.

2 comments:

Nessie said...

that sounds like an awsome resolution...I want to do something like that with Aaron too...but what?? hmmm. You've inspired me! haha

Rebecca said...

Hi, Emily! I hopped over from Candice's blog. Any friend of Candice is a friend of mine!!! :^)

I know that my husband and I enjoy reading together. Once in a while he'll read outloud to me, but generally we just curl up at night and read our respective books. I like it SOOOO much better than when he pops in a video to watch till he falls asleep. I hope you have fun with this challenge!

No, I don't think it's corny to track your progress. I like star charts! ;^)