November 27, 2007

Completely Disgusted


I honestly don't think I have enough words to express distaste towards a certain company that manufactures Christmas lights that Walmart sells, of course made in China. I purchased a battery operated set of 10 Christmas lights for a table decoration for our Advent Dessert on Saturday night. I was sitting on the floor and pulled out the Christmas lights and Monkey came over an was fingering them (I was closely watching him, don't worry). I go to cut off 2 "warning" stickers on the cord so that they didn't look bad in my decoration. Seriously, who reads the "warning" stickers, don't they all say the same thing? This could cause electrocution, yadayadayada...

No....

This one says...

Caution:

Prop 65 Warning: Handling the coated electrical wires of this product exposes you to lead. (see other side)

(Continued from other side)
a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer birth defects and other reproductive harm.
Wash hands after use.

Can you even believe it!?! LEAD!!! I'm irate! I promply washed our hands and spray painted the cord (with non-lead paint).

Man, I'm seriously thinking about not buying ANYTHING made in China any more. I know it might be difficult, but the risk on our health is unbelievable. It just makes me SO mad!

I watched a special on TV the other day about the harm of lead to children, it's honestly scary. An amount of lead a 1/4 of the size of paper clip can cause serious brain damage in children. SCARY!

1 comment:

Shelley said...

It's horrible!! It's bad for us and for the Chinese people working in the factories producing this toxic crap for us to buy.